Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Do I HAAAAAVE to? (Said with pout)

Okay, we'll just get it out right from the beginning......I FREAKING HATE EXERCISE!!!!!!

I do not like gyms.  Gyms, to me, are places for young hot things to prance around in Spandex and Lycra.  Or old farts who think they're still hot, flexing their pecs and strutting around, invariably wearing shorts way the hell too tight and leaving sweat puddles wherever they go.

I'm not fond of exercise classes, at least the ones I've been to.   See Spandex issue mentioned above, plus the competitive aspect, plus me feeling as graceful and limber as a yak.

I hate sweating.  I hate breathing hard.  I hate pain.

I feel like laying on the floor and throwing a tantrum right now.  But that would be exercise.

I think some of this comes from being totally aerobicized in the 80s and 90s.  I got so dang sick of Jane Fonda and Joannie Greggains and Denise Austin and the whole bunch.  Step aerobics?  Kiss my butt.

I know I need to exercise for my health, but why is it such a bore and a chore and a snore?

Now, I could see myself in a yoga or Pilates class, if I could find a good teacher and someone with a class that works with my schedule.  I'd love to surf.  I'd love to try aquajogging.  I'd love to go horseback riding.  I'd love to try bellydancing or Zumba.  I'd love to ride my bike around town.

But I cannot tolerate competitive atmospheres; I can't stand overly structured classes with martinet instructors; I despise repetition. 

Anyone out there care to challenge me on this?  :-)


1 comment:

  1. If possible, you might try picking up an activity as a PRACTICE and not exercise. I don't classify swimming as working out- I mean, I know that's what it's all about. But it's become such a mental and emotional thing for me that the health benefits are secondary at this point. Try finding some practice that not only moves your body but moves your soul and then GLOM on to that feeling.

    ReplyDelete