Monday, June 25, 2012

Bedtime Prayers

My husband and I, during times of stress, will sometimes pray together in bed at night.  It makes me feel closer to him and to God.  Sometimes, you have no power in a situation and you just have to lift it up to God.  (My personal belief)

When I sing it can be a form of prayer, even comfort.  I well remember driving home from Ames one night a couple of winters ago, after work.  I didn't realize until I reached Story City that I was driving right into a wall of wind and snow.  The roads suddenly became treacherous.  And with white knuckles on the steering wheel, I sang hymns to keep myself grounded and less scared.  At one point I even stopped singing and just prayed over and over, Please God, get me home safely.  A 45 minute trip took 2 hours, but I got home safely that night.

I don't really formally have a time of prayer each day, but instead pray throughout the day.  Sometimes my actions are a form of prayer...being totally in the moment and present and engaged with a hurting client....communing with nature....even sitting on my front porch and feeling thankful for another day put to rest. 



No comments:

Post a Comment