Friday, July 6, 2012

Thinking out loud

I don't know how upset I should be about something.  Boy, does that sound weird.  Ha, I usually know exactly how pissed I simply am about things!

This is a little different.

Okay, my beloved and I knew from the beginning that we perched ourselves on very opposite sides of the political fence.  He's a staunch, lifelong Republican.  I'm......decidedly NOT.   I was a card-carrying member of NOW in college, and marched for peace, choice and whatever else there was to march for back then (good music and cold beer at the end).   We've generally managed to keep a truce state going, relying on a few political common grounds to tamp down the occasional flames.  (And we really love each other, so that helps even more.)

I'm not as politically active as I used to be.  My husband, however, is consumed by it.  He's the county chair for his party, watches Glenn Beck every day at 4pm, and so on and so forth.  He has got it in his head that because he is county chair and because I'm really not that politically active, I should not have any right to place signs for Democrat (or otherwise) candidates in our yard.  In fact, in one heated exchange, he threatened to tear up anything I put out there.  Hmmm.



Now, I told him from the beginning of our relationship that I would do nothing to publicly embarrass him, ever.  Does this qualify?  I mean, I think I had things like standing on top of a table at his overpriced chicken dinner and fancy speechifying events and shouting "Socialized Medicine!" in mind when I made that vow.   Is a sign all that bad, really?

Maybe it's the disrespect for my right as an individual to proclaim my views that's bugging me.  I don't know.  I mean, this is by no means a relationship dealbreaker.  But it does give one pause.  And the desire to shop for bumper stickers.




No comments:

Post a Comment